Sunday, March 27, 2011

Assignment 1 - Trying, trying, trying... FAILING, FAILING, FAILING

I'm sitting here at my computer for the forth night in a row thinking to myself 'why?'. I've been working on this assignment now for days straight, doing 10 hour days and still I cannot get bloody rhino and grasshopper to combine and do what I want them to do. I must admit that I’m not the best scripter in the world, far from it actually. It doesn't matter how hard I try I cannot seem to understand why it doesn't understand and do what I want it to understand and do. its sending me insane. I think I will just have to accept the fact now that I never will understand the language of the computer.


I will admit I did watch the movie 'the social network' the other day to get me inspired to do great things. man what I would do to be Mark Zuckerberg right now. I would have finished this assignment days ago, maybe even in the first week I got it, it would have been a damn good assignment at that, and in the process of it all I would have made myself a millions of dollars (but hey, I did have a ticket in the 2o million lotto draw on the weekend, so you never know, I could be a millionaire right now and not even know it).


But back to the scripting and the more important issues of the time. I find it so frustrating because I can explain exactly what I want to do in English words but I can’t seem to understand how I convert this onto the computer, more specifically, grasshopper. All I want to do is this...


-I want to make a grid, say 15 x 15 I want to place a point at each intersection of the grid (therefore have a total 225 points)


-I want to be able to pick a certain number of points in this space I want these points, however many there is, to be chosen at random positions I want to then be able to manipulate and raise these points in the 'z' axis


- I then want to apply a mesh to this so it creates a 'wave' effect, a nice curvy effect, a bit like someone has put a table cloth over the points.


-From this I would have three variable of: Number of waves, wave heights and wave length (swell)


Sounds simple doesn't it, but know it not believe me, I could do it I would. I will post below all the attempts of what I am trying to do so I can prove to you (whoever if anyone actually reads this, even though it is more likely that this will become lost somewhere in cyber space).






But that's enough jabbering for one night. I’m going to bed and I’m going to wake up in the morning with a positive attitude and I will submit an assignment for this project. I will endeavour to conquer this thing some call ‘scripting’ and ‘coding’, they have no idea what’s coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment